- What is Phaidra?
- Who can use Phaidra?
- How to upload digital objects?
- What level of service does the University of Padova provide?
- What do users need to know?
- What happens if the user deposits non-compliant digital objects?
- Who owns the intellectual and/or industrial property of the objects that are inserted?
- What happens if the site is closed?
- What happens if the user violates the rules indicated above?
- To communicate
Phaidra is the Digital Asset Management system of the Library System of the University of Padova which allows the digital storage, management and long-term archiving of digital objects (image, text, video and audio files), as well as research and the consultation of such objects for research and teaching.
- Any visitor can browse the website, search, view documents, use the digital objects for personal study, teaching or research, download with the resolution and concessions permitted by the intellectual property rights associated with the licence.
Authorised users can store digital objects in the platform making them available – according to licences issued – to third parties. To do this, users must have an email at the University of Padova or other affiliated entities, be in possession of authentication credentials and have received adequate training on the use of the platform.
For account assignment, send a request to the Library Helpline.
To manage and upload digital objects, it is necessary to know the procedures for use of the platform which are accessible at the following address: https://phaidra.cab.unipd.it/help_long#printed-guides.
The University of Padova informs users that the digital objects deposited in Phaidra may be selected as follows (to be performed at the time of insertion):
- Open access: all users, even visitors, can view the digital object and its metadata;
- Restricted access: all users can only view previews and metadata.
Inserted objects may then be deleted and removed upon justified request.
Phaidra is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, except in cases of scheduled or emergency maintenance.
The University of Padova may restrict the resources used (by way of example: bandwidth, disk space) in order to ensure the quality and continuity of service.
Phaidra has been implemented in compliance with current applicable standards, but there is no guarantee as to the functionality of the site, or the availability, accuracy, completeness, reliability of the information contained therein.
Please note that digital objects provided by third parties are not examined and controlled – also related to potential unlawful activity – by the University of Padova.
For proper use of the platform and user protection, the user must pay close attention to:
- read and learn about the conditions of use and the terms of law for optimal and legal use of the platform;
- be aware that he/she is solely responsible for his/her actions;
- do not insert any object or information of discriminatory, extremist or pornographic character, that offends public morals and decency, which is contrary to legal norms and in terms of safety;
- Phaidra objects may be used for the purpose of teaching, study and research, excluding commercial use and for profit, except for items where otherwise specified.
You should know that the University of Padova is not responsible for:
- for damage of any kind (for example: malfunctions, losses, inability to find digital objects and/or to deposit them, loss of digital materials ...) caused by navigation in Phaidra and/or whatever may arise from actions not in compliance by the user and/or the use of the user’s software/hardware products;
- in cases of force majeure or unforeseeable circumstances;
- for reasons not attributable to wilful misconduct or gross negligence of the University of Padova itself;
- for illicit civil and/or criminal use carried out by the users and directly or indirectly involving the University of Padova and/or Phaidra;
- for modifying and/or deleting data or digital objects;
- for withdrawal and/or the suspension of access upon request of a competent authority or by the holders of rights who consider themselves damaged by the user.
In the event that the University of Padova has knowledge or notice of any circumstances from which the illegality of activity or illegal nature of digital objects is noted, it is entitled to promptly suspend, block access and/or notify the competent authorities.
Similarly, the University is permitted to delete and remove digital objects and data that could harm the database and computer applications.
In any case, in any civil and/or criminal actions by third parties who consider that their rights have been violated as a result of user behaviour, the University of Padova will have the right of compensation and will call into question the latter.
Trademarks (excluding Phaidra brand name owned by the University of Vienna), logos, text, documents, images, graphics, including metadata on the site are:
- owned by the University of Padova and protected by current legislation on copyright and industrial property;
- owned by users or third parties, who have granted to the University of Padova the right to use them;
- in the public domain.
The data, including metadata, the content of the institutions and/or public and/or private entities that collaborate and cooperate with the University of Padova, are the property of these institutions and/or organisations.
If the content of the site were covered by rights and if legitimate owners, by error or unavailability, were not contacted and/or recognised, the latter are invited to communicate such through the Library Helpline, in order to define any disclaimers.
The University of Padova reserves the right to remove and/or restrict access even in advance to digital objects which are illegal and/or in the event of any dispute relating to the ownership of intellectual and/or industrial property rights.
The user authorised to upload digital objects grants the rights of use to the University of Padova, within the limits and for institutional purposes.
In particular, within the limits and purposes specified, the user grants permission to the University of Padova free of charges, non-exclusive, without limits of time and space, the right to use in part or in their entirety digital objects they have uploaded for an infinite number of times in particular, included but not limited to, the right to publish, reproduce, distribute, transmit, store, modify and make any changes required for technical reasons or for reasons relating to the requirements for long-term storage, and the user as well grants all rights that may result from future technological developments or statutory changes.
Such notifications of changes will be published on the Phaidra website.
Users with an account will be notified by email.
In case of closure of the site, the University of Padova is committed to maintaining to the best of its abilities digital objects uploaded to the server and, upon request, to provide a digital copy to each user who originally uploaded such objects. In this regard, the University of Padova will send notifications to the email address specified in the user's profile.
The University of Padova cannot guarantee full data stability, let alone the preservation of digital objects loaded for more than six months from the date of notification.
Subsequently, the University of Padova will consider itself free to destroy them.
Violation of the conditions of use may result in restrictions for the user to re-access the contents of Phaidra, the University of Padova may, in accordance with civil and/or criminal law, pursue action for the protection and defence of their interests and rights, including claims for damages.
Disputes arising from use of the platform, will be under the jurisdiction of Italian law and any litigation will be subject to the existing rules on procedural matters for which jurisdiction shall be those of Padua.
Users are requested to report any errors, malfunctions, or to send any requests through the Library Helpline.
UNIVERSITY: The University of Padova in the University of Padova Library Centre.
PHAIDRA: the Digital Asset Management system of the Library System of the University of Padova which allows the digital storage, management and long-term archiving of digital objects (image, text, video and audio files), as well as research and the consultation of such objects for research and teaching.
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR: the person with rights of unlimited access to all stored digital objects, with privileges for the creation and management of user profiles, management of back-up procedures and conservation.
AUTHORISED USER: includes:
- USER OWNER: A person (natural or legal person) who accesses the reserved area of the website for the storage of digital objects for which they have rights to unlimited access.
- GUEST USER: An external party to the University of Padova in which the University grants, for a period whether temporarily or not, the ability to access the website as user owner in order to try and test procedures for the inclusion of digital objects and their management.
VISITOR: A person who browses the site, searches, views documents, uses digital objects for personal study, teaching or research, downloads with the resolution and concessions relating to intellectual property rights associated with the permit.
DIGITAL OBJECT: entity where one or more content files and their corresponding metadata are connected, physically and/or logically, through the use of a digital wrapper.
METADATA: Data describing the content, structure and context of digital documents and their management over time.